Crackling Fish Tacos
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds skinless red snapper fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- Chipotle Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/255926/chipotle-tartar-sauce)
- Soft flour tortillas, for serving
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and crosswise, seeded, and cut into long, thin strips about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small bunch arugula, stems removed, for serving
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Zest of 2 oranges, for serving
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Place garlic and a pinch of salt on work surface. Mash into a paste using the flat side of a chef's knife.
- In a medium bowl, stir together garlic paste and Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add fish, and gently toss to coat. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to bowl, and gently toss until each piece of fish is lightly coated.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Test oil with a small cube of bread; it will sizzle when oil is hot enough to fry. Working in small batches, shake off any excess flour and add fish to oil; do not overcrowd the pan. Cook until golden brown, turning halfway through, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fish to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; repeat with remaining fish.
- To serve, evenly spread a dollop of tartar sauce on a tortilla; top with cucumber, 3 or 4 pieces of fish, arugula, cilantro, and 1 teaspoon of zest. Fold right side of tortilla over filling, and roll to enclose filling, leaving one end open. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with additional tartar sauce and lime wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.