Stanley's Laksa Paste
Chef Stanley Wong recommends visiting an Asian or Indian market to find many of these ingredients.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 5 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh turmeric, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 piece (3 inches) fresh galangal, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 piece (3 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 15 candlenuts, or macadamia nuts
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 large red chiles, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 4 red-bird chiles, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Malaysian shrimp paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Indonesian palm sugar
- In a food processor, combine lemongrass, garlic, turmeric, galangal, ginger, candlenuts, onion, chiles, shrimp paste, and 1/2 cup water. Process to form a smooth paste.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add paste mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until golden and aromatic, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and add palm sugar, stirring to dissolve. May be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.