30-Minute Spaghetti and Meatballs
Turn sausages into tasty meatballs without additional ingredients or mixing. For a variation, try this recipe with fresh chicken or turkey sausages.
Everyday Food, May 2010
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Remove sausage meat from casings and roll into 24 balls. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to a plate. Add onion to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, breaking them up as you go, and season with salt and pepper; bring sauce to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to water and cook according to package instructions. Meanwhile, add meatballs to sauce and rapidly simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Reserve 8 meatballs and 1 1/2 cups sauce to make Spinach and Meatball Calzones at another time. Drain pasta, then toss with remaining sauce and meatballs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.