Grilled Asparagus Wrap
Martha Stewart Living, April 1999
- 1/2 cup instant couscous
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or 1/4 cup mayonnaise mixed with 1/4 cup plain yogurt)
- 1 pound medium asparagus
- 1/2 Vidalia or Spanish onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- <u>Grilled Flatbread</u>, or store-bought pita bread
- 1 small head red oakleaf lettuce
- Heat grill or grill pan until hot. Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add couscous and pinch of salt; stir. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork.
- Combine lemon juice and zest, couscous, thyme, and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. In a large bowl, combine asparagus, onion, and oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill asparagus and onions until spears are slightly charred and rounds are soft and browned, about 10 minutes.
- Spread one-fourth of couscous over each piece of flatbread. Place 4 asparagus spears, tips extending, over couscous. Place one-fourth of onions on asparagus; top with one-fourth of the lettuce. Roll each sandwich tightly; seal with a wooden skewer. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.