Easter Pizza Piena
This delicious recipe, perfect for Easter gatherings, is courtesy of sisters Gerry DiSanto and Nina Scavone.
The Martha Stewart Show, March Winter/Spring 2008
Yield Makes one 13 3/4-by-9 1/2-inch pie
- Pizza Piena Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/259255/pizza-piena-dough)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 pounds fresh ricotta cheese
- 7 ounces sweet Italian dry sausage, very finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fresh unsalted mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out larger disk of dough into an 1/8-inch thick rectangle about 19 by 15 inches. Fit into a 13-by-9-inch baking dish leaving a 1-inch overhang; set aside.
- Roll out second smaller disk of dough to about 1/8 inch thick and cut four 15-by-1-inch strips; set aside. Cut remaining dough into three 11-by-1-inch strips; set aside.
- Place eggs and ricotta in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix until well combined. Add sausage, parmesan, mozzarella, pepper, and parsley; continue mixing until well combined. Pour mixture over dough in baking dish.
- With the long end of the baking dish facing you, place the three 11-inch strips of dough vertically over the top of the filling, spacing evenly apart. Starting in the middle, weave one of the 15-inch strips over and under the vertical strips (folding back every other vertical strip makes this easier). Continue weaving the remaining three 15-inch strips until lattice is complete. Fold over the overhanging pieces of dough and press with a fork to seal.
- Brush dough with egg yolk and transfer to oven. Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.