Patricia's Cream and Sugar Bread Tart
Residents of the Bourg-en-Bresse region of the French Alps bake this dessert in community ovens using their leftover bread dough. Chef and cooking instructor Patricia Wells shares her recipe for this Provencal tart.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
Yield Makes one 10-inch tart
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 pound <a href="http://prod_recipe.dev.marthastewart.com/recipe/recipe_detail/6996">Basic Bread Dough</a>
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Knead the lemon zest into the bread dough. Roll out the dough to about 10 inches, and carefully transfer the dough to a baking sheet.
- Spread the creme fraiche evenly onto the bread dough right to the edge. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until the tart is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let sit for about 3 minutes (so the cream and sugar solidify, and the tart is easier to cut), and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.