Cream and Sugar Bread Tart
Residents of the Bourg-en-Bresse region of the French Alps bake this dessert in community ovens using their leftover bread dough.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
Yield Makes one 10-inch tart
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 recipe Basic Bread Dough (recipe above)
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 450°. Knead the lemon zest into1 pound of the bread dough. (Reserve remaining dough for another use.) Roll out the dough to about 10 inches diameter, and carefully transfer to a baking sheet.
- Spread the crème fraîche evenly onto the bread dough right to the edge. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until the tart is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let sit for about 3 minutes (so the cream and sugar solidify and the tart is easier to cut), and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.