This recipe for cheddar crumbles by Elizabeth Falkner is the perfect topping for her Apple of My Eye dessert.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Fall 2007
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 4 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack positioned in the center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, confectioners' sugar, salt, pepper, and paprika. Using your fingers, two knives, or a pastry blender, mix in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle pecans and cheese over mixture and gently toss to combine.
- Pour mixture into the center of the prepared baking sheet. Using your fingers, gently distribute the mixture evenly over the baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake about 10 minutes. Turn crumbles with a spatula and continue baking until crumbles are golden and cheese is crisp, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack; let cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.