Braised Chicken with Orange and Scallions
Braising involves the same basic steps as stewing but uses less liquid. The result: golden pieces of chicken with a flavorful sauce. For even browning, use a heavy pan, like a cast-iron skillet or a Dutch oven.
Everyday Food, May 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces, reserve wings for another use
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches scallions, halved crosswise
- 3/4 cup halved, pitted green olives
- 6 strips orange zest, plus 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high until hot but not smoking, about 1 minute. Season chicken with salt. Swirl oil in skillet. Working in batches if needed, add chicken, skin side down, and brown on one side, about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken, skin side up, and add scallions, olives, and orange zest and juice to skillet. Transfer to oven and cook until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.