Shredded Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup
Look for soba noodles in the Asian section of your supermarket.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2003
- 10 cups <u>Chicken Stock for Chicken and Soba Noodles</u>
- 2 whole skinless chicken breasts, halved
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound soba noodles
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 2 red radishes, trimmed and julienned
- 1/2 bunch watercress, tough stems removed, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium stockpot, bring chicken stock to a simmer over medium heat. Add chicken breasts; return to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cover, and keep the stock at a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt, and stir in soba noodles. Cook until soba is al dente according to package instructions. Drain; set aside.
- Remove the chicken meat from bones, and shred into bite-size pieces. Add tofu to simmering stock just until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle stock and tofu into soup bowls. Add shredded chicken to each bowl, and mound soba noodles in the center. Sprinkle with the carrots and radishes; garnish with watercress and cilantro.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.