Sauteed Spinach with Roasted Red Pepper
Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 pound baby or regular spinach, tough stems discarded
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Place bell pepper directly over the flame of a gas-stove burner or under the broiler. Roast pepper, turning with tongs, until blackened all over. Transfer pepper to a medium bowl, and cover immediately with plastic wrap. Let steam 15 minutes. Discard skin, stem, seeds, and ribs; slice pepper lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick strips, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add roasted pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 30 seconds. Raise heat to medium-high. Add half the spinach, and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add remaining spinach, and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes more. Stir in salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.