Steak with Caramelized Onions
Martha Stewart Living, October Fall 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 boneless sirloin steaks (each about 1 pound and 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced and mashed into a paste
- 5 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds small red onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/3-inch-thick wedges (keeping root ends intact)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Place steaks on a large plate, and rub with garlic paste and 2 tablespoons oil, coating completely. Season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot and just starting to smoke. Reduce heat to medium; add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water; simmer, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 3 minutes more. Transfer onions to a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Cook steaks until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.