Sausage with Stewed Red Onions
Most butchers make a variety of sausages, including veal, chicken, and turkey, in addition to the more traditional pork. Use your favorite for this recipe.
Martha Stewart Living, February/March 1992
- 2 pounds sausage, (we used veal)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, brown sausage in oil on all sides, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and keep warm. Do not wash pan.
- Cook onions in same pan over medium heat, stirring often, until tender and translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, and cook 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, salt, pepper, and whole rosemary leaves, and cook over medium-high heat, scraping bottom of pan, until reduced by half.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and return sausage to pan. Simmer together with onions for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.