Pink Peony Popcorn Balls
Martha Stewart Living, May 1998
- 12 cups popped, unsalted popcorn (1/2 cup kernels)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 or 2 drops red food coloring
- Combine popcorn and cranberries in a large mixing bowl, and set aside.
- Combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, corn syrup, salt, and vinegar in a small, heavy saucepan. Set the saucepan over high heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. Insert a candy thermometer, and cook until the mixture reaches 290 degrees, about 14 minutes. Add food coloring, stirring, until desired color is reached. Remove pan from heat.
- Pour the hot syrup over the reserved popcorn mixture; stir together with a wooden spoon until all the kernels have been well coated. Working quickly, use your hands to form a 2 1/2-inch-diameter ball. Transfer the ball to parchment paper, and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining the popcorn mixture. Store the popcorn balls in an airtight container up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.