Chicken-Leg Cacciatore with Sweet Peppers, Fennel, and Green Olives
This recipe for delicious chicken-leg cacciatore is courtesy of chef Andrew Carmellini, and can be found in "Urban Italian."
The Martha Stewart Show
- 6 chicken legs with thighs
- Brine (http://www.marthastewart.com/257327/brine)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Sicilian, on the branch
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links fresh hot Italian sausage (about 1/4 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 Roasted Peppers (http://www.marthastewart.com/257328/roasted-peppers), yellow or red, cut into strips
- 10 whole Italian canned tomatoes, preferably San Marzano (about one 28-ounce can)
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives (preferably marinated), halved
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place chicken legs and thighs in a large bowl; add brine and toss to coat. Transfer to refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry.
- Preheat broiler and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, oregano, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place chicken on a broiler pan on the middle rack and broil until skin begins to crisp, about 2 1/2 minutes. Rotate pan and continue cooking until skin is crisp, about 2 1/2 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to oven and bake until juices run clear, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add sausage and cook until fat is rendered, about 2 minutes. Add onion, fennel, and remaining salt. Cover pan and let cook until vegetables are just softened, about 3 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add roasted peppers and tomatoes; cook until tomatoes are broken down, vegetables have softened, and mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add olives and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and add basil, parsley, and chicken; stir to coat. Serve immediately with generous portions of sauce poured over the chicken.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.