Open Face Sandwiches
Martha Stewart Kids, Summer
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- Sliced ham, lettuce, sliced olives, peas, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, pickles, and grated carrot, for toppings
- Make egg salad: In a medium saucepan, cover eggs with water. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, 2 minutes. Cover pan, and remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Hold eggs under cold running water to stop the cooking. Peel eggs.
- Slice 2 eggs with a knife or an egg slicer. Set aside eight of the slices for eyes, and place remaining pieces in a bowl. Add unsliced eggs to bowl, and mash with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over each slice of bread. Cover bread with egg salad, or layer on sliced ham. Make faces using the egg-yolk slices, egg salad, and the remaining toppings, as desired. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.