Emeril's Apple and Cranberry Crisp
This quick and easy crisp announces the arrival of fall in the best way possible.
Everyday Food, October 2009
- Prep Time 15 minute
- Total Time 1 1/4 hour, plus cooling
- Yield Serves 8
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds sweet, firm apples, such as Gala or Braeburn, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Crisp Topping (http://www.marthastewart.com/261686/crisp-topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, vanilla, and orange zest and juice. Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until topping is browned and juices are thick and bubbling around edges, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Fresh or frozen cranberries work well here (no need to defrost the frozen ones before using). You can add 1/3 cup chopped walnuts to the topping, if you like.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.