Pink Meringue Shells
Martha Stewart Living Television
- Unsalted butter, for parchment
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 drop liquid red food coloring
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and lightly butter; set aside. Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks begin to form. Add food coloring. Gradually add granulated sugar, and beat until stiff, but not dry. Slowly add confectioners' sugar, and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer meringue mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a #6 large star tip. Pipe the meringue into 3-inch round disks. Then pipe two layers of meringue around the edges of each disk to form a shell. Transfer to oven, and bake until dry, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove from oven, and carefully separate the meringue shells from the parchment paper, and cool on a wire rack.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.