Brown Sugar Meringues
These should be dried overnight before serving.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2000
- Yield Makes about 1 dozen
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until golden and aromatic, about 8 minutes. Shake the pan halfway through baking to make sure the nuts toast evenly. Remove from oven; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees. Line two 11-by-17-inch baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine egg whites and sugar. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm, 3 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, whip mixture until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix to combine. Remove bowl from mixer, and fold in the toasted almonds.
- Place 1/3-cup ovals of meringue on prepared baking sheets, about 6 per sheet. Bake 1 hour. Turn off heat; dry meringues in oven overnight. Store between layers of parchment in an airtight container in a cool, dry place up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.