Chestnut Flour Crepes (Necci) with Ricotta and Honey
This delicious, gluten-free recipe for Italian-style crepes comes from chef Mario Batali.
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2010
- 1 cup chestnut flour, sifted
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups fresh sheep's or cow's milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chestnut or orange blossom honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place flour in a large bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add half of the milk and whisk until smooth. Add remaining milk and whisk until smooth; let batter stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place ricotta in a medium bowl; stir in 1/4 cup honey and set aside.
- Heat a 6-to-8-inch cast-iron skillet or crepe pan over medium heat; brush pan with enough olive oil to coat. Add 2 tablespoons batter to pan and tilt until evenly coated. Cook until crepe becomes firm on the bottom and begins curling at the edges, about 1 minute. Turn and cook until opposite side is cooked through. Repeat process with remaining batter, stacking crepes on top of one another as you cook.
- To serve, place two tablespoons of the ricotta mixture in the center of each crepe. Fold in half and drizzle with remaining honey; serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.