A Great Cake
This great cake was adapted for "The Martha Stewart Show" from a recipe written by Martha Washington.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Fall 2007
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 10 large eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 1/4 pounds all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground mace
- 2 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 1/2 ounces raisins
- 2 ounces sliced almonds
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 large pear, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 ounces white wine, preferably chardonnay or pinot gris
- 2 ounces cognac
- Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/257252/frosting)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch round springform cake pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and spray parchment with cooking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Transfer egg whites to a medium bowl.
- Clean mixer bowl and return to mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add butter to bowl and beat on high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and with the mixer running add egg whites to butter, 1 cup at a time, mixing until combined. Slowly add sugar, mixing until well combined. Add egg yolks and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, mace, and nutmeg. With the mixer running add flour mixture to butter mixture, 1 cup at a time. Mix until well combined. Add raisins and almonds.
- Place apples and pears in a large bowl and cover with wine and brandy. Add apple mixture to mixer. Increase speed to high, mixing until well combined, about 15 seconds.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly with a spatula. Transfer cake to oven and bake, rotating pan once halfway through baking, until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Remove side of pan and transfer cake onto a baking sheet.
- Spread frosting all over top and sides of cake. Transfer cake to oven and bake until frosting is dry and brittle, about 1 hour. Frosting should shatter when cake is cut.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.