Savory Tomato Sauce
This recipe for Savory Tomato Sauce comes from chef Sara Foster and is the perfect addition to Vegetarian Eggplant Rolls.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2007
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and their juices, and marjoram or oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.