Grilled Hanger Steak on Toasted Country Bread
This delicious dinner recipe is courtesy of Michael Lomonaco.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 8 thick slices country bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 hanger steak (2 pounds), trimmed, center nerve removed, and halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Rub bread with cut side of garlic. Brush lightly with olive oil. Transfer to grill pan and cook until toasted, turn, and toast remaining side. Set toasted bread aside.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper; oil grill pan and add steaks. Cook, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a platter to rest. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add shallots, and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add vinegar, and carefully return to stove. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, add wine, and continue cooking until reduced by half. Set aside and keep warm.
- Place two slices bread on each of 4 plates. Slice steaks 1/2-inch thick and place on bread. Spoon sauce over steak and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.