Marc's Fresh Pea Soup with Mint Jelly
This recipe comes to us from Marc Veyrat, a self-taught French chef who gained a broad knowledge of wild herbs and edible foliage while working as a shepherd.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 6 1/2 cups Marc's Vegetable Broth Marc's Vegetable Broth (http://www.marthastewart.com/256347/marcs-vegetable-broth)
- 60 mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons creme de menthe
- 1 sheet gelatin
- 1/2 medium leek, well washed and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 pounds fresh peas, shelled
- Coarse salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups vegetable broth to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 1/3 cups. Add mint and creme de menthe. Using a handheld immersion blender, puree to break up the mint leaves. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Soak gelatin in cold water to cover for 4 minutes. Remove, and squeeze out excess liquid. Add gelatin to broth mixture, and stir to dissolve. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into eight 5- to 6-ounce heat-proof glasses. (Each glass should be one-third full.) Transfer glasses to freezer, and chill until just set, about 10 minutes.
- Combine leek, butter, and peas in a medium saucepan. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer until peas are tender, about 10 minutes. Using a handheld immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Season with salt.
- Remove glasses from freezer. Pour hot soup over minted jelly. Wait 4 minutes, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.