White-Chocolate Spheres Filled with Chocolate Mousse
This one-of-a-kind dessert recipe from chef Eric Snow of The Oak Room is the perfect sweet treat for Valentine's Day.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2009
- 1 pound white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red cocoa butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white cocoa butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Chocolate Mousse (http://www.marthastewart.com/255711/chocolate-mousse)
- 8 Poached Quince Balls (http://www.marthastewart.com/256141/poached-quince-balls)
- 12 heart-shaped Cocoa Nib Tuiles (http://www.marthastewart.com/256046/cocoa-nib-tuiles)
- Place 2/3 of the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan with 1 to 2 inches of water to a simmer; turn off. Set bowl of chocolate over saucepan; melt. Stir gently with a rubber spatula until it reaches 118 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Remove bowl from saucepan; add remaining 1/3 chocolate to melted chocolate. Stir with a rubber spatula until melted chocolate cools to 84 degrees; remove unmelted pieces. Place bowl over pan; stir until thermometer reaches 88 degrees to 90 degrees.
- Using a very small pastry brush, brush a streak of red cocoa butter on each half of four 2-part 2 1/2-inch sphere-shaped molds. Repeat process with white cocoa butter. Using a larger pastry brush, brush entire mold with chocolate. Transfer mold to freezer until chocolate is firm, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully remove chocolate from molds, and place the bottom half of each mold onto a plate.
- Fill a disposable pastry bag with mousse; cut tip off bag. Pipe mousse into the bottom half of each chocolate mold. Add 2 quince balls to mold and top with a tuile.
- Working with one chocolate mold at a time, hold the top half of the mold, bottom side down, over a warm surface to soften slightly, about 10 seconds. Top bottom half of chocolate molds with top halves.
- Pipe two small dots of mousse on the top of each mold; attach a heart tuile to each. Heat poaching liquid from quince and drizzle over chocolate molds; serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.