Hunter's Chicken Stew
This delicious recipe is from "Jamie's Italy," by Jamie Oliver.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 chicken (4 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces, or one 4 1/2-pound package chicken parts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, 1 crushed, 2 sliced
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Chianti
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup green or black olives, pitted
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, crushed gently
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and place in a large bowl. Add bay leaves, rosemary, and crushed clove of garlic; pour over wine. Let marinate for at least an hour, in the refrigerator, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain chicken, reserving the marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Coat chicken pieces with flour; shaking off any excess. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 5 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the sliced garlic. Cook gently until golden brown, then add the anchovies, olives, tomatoes, and chicken pieces with their reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, and cover. Transfer to oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim off any fat from the surface of the sauce, and discard. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves and rosemary before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.