Grilled Green Tomatoes with Creamy Basil Sauce
Make use of unripened green tomatoes, grilled and dressed with basil sauce, in this simple side that goes well with fried chicken or grilled steak.
Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a food processor, combine mayonnaise, basil, garlic, and lemon juice, and process until basil is finely chopped and sauce is smooth (add 1 to 2 teaspoons water if needed). Cut green tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices, brush with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred and softened, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and spoon sauce over top.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.