Patsy's Meatball Lasagna
The Martha Stewart Show, March Winter/Spring 2006
- 2 1/4 pounds (4 inches by 8 inches) fresh lasagna sheets
- Coarse salt
- 10 cups homemade or store-bought pasta sauce
- 1/2 recipe Meatballs for Patsy's Meatball Lasagna (http://www.marthastewart.com/257861/meatballs-for-patsys-meatball-lasagna)
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 pounds (about 8 links) sweet Italian sausage, broiled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; season with salt. Add lasagna sheets, and cook until pliable and al dente, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour 1 cup sauce into a shallow baking dish; set aside. Cut two sheets in half lengthwise to make four 2-by-8-inch sheets; set aside.
- Spread 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Dip half of a reserved cut sheet crosswise in the reserved sauce, and drape over a corner of the baking pan, leaving the sauce-covered end in the pan with the other half hanging over the edge. Repeat with remaining 3 cut sheets and corners. Line edges of pan in the same manner using full-size sheets dipped lengthwise. Finish lining the bottom of the pan with 2 full sheets.
- In a medium bowl, toss to combine meatballs with 1/3 cup pecorino Romano, and 1/4 cup basil; spread evenly in bottom of dish. Pour over 1 cup sauce, and cover with 2 lasagna sheets.
- In the same bowl, toss sausages with 1/3 cup pecorino Romano; spread evenly in baking dish. Pour over 1 cup sauce, and cover with 2 lasagna sheets.
- In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella with 1/3 cup pecorino Romano; spread evenly in baking dish. Pour over 1 cup sauce, and cover with 2 lasagna sheets.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup pecorino Romano with ricotta and egg; spread evenly in baking dish. Top with 1 cup sauce.
- Center pasta sheets on ricotta within 1/2-inch of the edge of dish. Brush draped lasagna with sauce, and fold over to seal and enclose.
- Cover lasagna with a clean, damp kitchen towel. Double-wrap baking dish in aluminum foil. Place an ovenproof plate, upside down, in a large roasting pan; fill pan with 2 inches of hot water. Place lasagna on top of plate. Bake until lasagna reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees to 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour 40 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with remaining basil, and serve with remaining sauce, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.