Mariniere Mussel Pot
This traditional Belgian mussel dish comes to us from chef Michael Formichella.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 1/4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine, or Belgian beer
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place mussels in a large pot. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. With water boiling, steam for 3 minutes. Add wine and bay leaf. Steam for 3 minutes longer. Add onion and celery, and steam until all the mussels open, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat, and add butter; toss until butter melts. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.