Mushroom and Celery-Heart Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
This recipe calls for cremini mushrooms, an Italian cultivated variety; if you can't find them, use more white button mushrooms.
Martha Stewart Living, February 1996
- 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 Cups) mixed baby greens
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 3 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 celery heart, (the small white inner stalks), sliced diagonally into 1/8-inch-thick pieces (1/2 Cup)
- Cut away peel and pith of lemon, and separate 3 segments from the white membranes. Thinly slice those 3 segments widthwise, and set aside. Into a small bowl, squeeze 1 tablespoon of lemon juice from remaining sections. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil until combined; set vinaigrette aside.
- Divide greens between 2 salad plates.
- In a medium bowl, toss mushrooms, celery heart, and all but several teaspoons of the vinaigrette. Arrange half the mushroom mixture in the center of each plate of greens; scatter chopped lemon over. Drizzle greens with remaining vinaigrette, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.