Beer Drinkers' Pizza
This recipe for a delicious Beer Drinkers' Perfect Pizza comes courtesy of Santo Bruno.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2005
- Yield Makes four 12-inch pizzas
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- One (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, and crushed by hand
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Beer Drinker's Pizza Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/257307/beer-drinkers-pizza-dough)
- 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap garlic in a piece of parchment-lined foil. Roast until soft, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool, and squeeze cloves to remove pulp.
- In a medium bowl, stir to combine roasted garlic, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, oregano, and basil. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- On a pizza peel dusted with flour, place one-quarter of the dough. Using your fingers, begin to flatten and push dough evenly out from center until it measures about 12 inches in diameter. Crimp edges to form a rim. Sprinkle one-quarter of the mozzarella onto dough. Spoon 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture over mozzarella.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. When very hot but not smoking, reduce heat to low. Lift pizza peel and, using a slight jerking motion, slide pizza about one inch back and forth on the peel to loosen it. Slightly tilt the peel, and slide the pizza off the peel, centering it in the skillet. Cover skillet, and cook until pizza is golden on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.