It's important that the vegetables fit in a single layer, not too crowded, on the baking sheet to brown properly.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2000
- 1 acorn, delicata, or other winter squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12 ounces assorted fingerling potatoes
- 1 bunch baby carrots (or 3 medium carrots)
- 2 medium leeks
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 medium celeriac
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch baby beets, peeled, and cut in half
- 5 ounces baby kale, curly endive, or other hearty greens
- Warm Roasted Garlic Dressing (http://www.marthastewart.com/263245/warm-roasted-garlic-dressing)
- 4 ounces aged goat cheese or Parmesan, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash crosswise in 1/4-inch rings, and remove seeds. Place in a large bowl, and set aside. Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise, and place in bowl with squash. Trim greens from carrots, and peel. (If using large carrots, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch coins.) Add to squash.
- Trim roots from leeks, leaving end intact; cut off greens from leeks, and cut in half lengthwise. Wash well, then cut into long, thin wedges. Add to squash mixture.
- Cut brussels sprouts in half, and add to bowl. Peel celeriac, and cut into 1/4-inch wedges; add to bowl.
- Drizzle vegetables with 4 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss until well combined. Arrange in a single layer on two large rimmed baking sheets. Place beets in same bowl, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Toss again. Add to baking sheet with vegetables.
- Roast until golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes, tossing halfway through to ensure even browning. Remove from oven, and let cool slightly on baking sheets.
- Place greens on plates or platter and arrange vegetables over. Drizzle with warm dressing. Shave cheese thinly with a vegetable peeler, and garnish the salad with it. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.