Creamed Mustard Greens
Everyone loves creamed spinach, but check out this version of the dish made with mustard greens and you'll be an instant convert. It's from Emeril's new cookbook, "Emeril 20-40-60."Try this recipe with Emeril's Cider-Brined Turkey and Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- Prep Time 16 minutes
- Total Time 39 minutes
- Serves 6
- Coarse salt
- 6 pounds mustard greens, rinsed well, tough stems and ribs removed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces Neufchatel cheese, cut into pieces
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add half of the mustard greens to the boiling water, a little at a time, pushing them down into the water. Return to a boil and cook greens until tender, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer greens to ice-water bath. Repeat process with remaining greens. Drain and squeeze dry with a kitchen towel. Finely chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and Neufchatel. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add greens to skillet and cook, stirring, until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.