Grilled Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce
It's always a good idea to cut an eggplant right before you're ready to use it, as the flesh discolors rapidly. If it's fresh, it's not necessary to salt eggplant before cooking.
Everyday Food, July/August 2005
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 medium eggplants, (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded, coarsely grated, and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Heat grill to medium-high. Halve eggplants lengthwise; slice off enough from skin side so halves lay flat. Brush both sides of eggplant halves with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cucumber, yogurt, parsley, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve sauce with grilled eggplant and lemon wedges, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.