Leek and Potato Galette
You can bake the galette and Glazed Ham at the same time: Place the side dish in the oven 70 to 80 minutes before the ham is done cooking.
Also try: Asparagus, Peas, and Radishes with Fresh Tarragon
Everyday Food, April 2007
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 pounds (5 to 6 medium) baking potatoes, peeled
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 leek, white and light-green parts, thinly sliced crosswise, well washed
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with rack set in top third. Line bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with a round of parchment paper. Place melted butter in a large bowl. Using a mandoline or cutting by hand, slice the potatoes 1/8 inch thick; add to bowl with butter. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. In prepared pan, arrange some of the potatoes around edge of pan, overlapping the slices.
- Fill center of pan with more overlapping slices. Sprinkle with half the leek and half the cheese; season with salt and pepper. Repeat with another layer of potatoes and remaining leek and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining potatoes. Using a spatula, press galette down firmly.
- Bake until potatoes are tender, 70 to 80 minutes, pressing down firmly twice with a spatula during cooking. Run knife around edge of pan. Carefully invert galette onto a plate, remove parchment, and reinvert onto serving plate. Cut into wedges, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.