Pickled Lady Apples
Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
- Yield Serves 12 as part of a buffet
- 2 pounds Lady apples (or crab apples)
- 2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- Prick apples in a few spots with a skewer. Bring vinegar, sugars, water, salt, cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, cloves, bay leaf, and peppercorns to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add apples, and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until a paring knife inserted in center of an apple meets slight resistance, about 8 minutes. Stir in cranberries, transfer to a bowl, and let cool. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (or up to 1 month). Serve pickled apples cold or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.