Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
Yield Makes about 1 1/2 dozen pieces
- 2 pieces edible rice paper, (9 by 13 inches each)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shelled salted pistachios, (about 7 ounces)
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut, (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Place 1 piece of rice paper in a 9-by- 13-inch rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Put sugar, honey, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture just begins to simmer and sugar has dissolved, about 6 minutes. Continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, put egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Raise speed to high. Pour hot honey mixture into egg-white mixture in a slow, steady stream, and beat until mixture has cooled and thickened and begins to stick to whisk, about 10 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; beat in vanilla, pistachios, coconut, and cranberries.
- Working quickly, spread mixture into prepared dish. Place another sheet of rice paper on top; press down to flatten and spread evenly. Let cool on wire rack at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Cut around edges of torrone to loosen. Remove from baking sheet; transfer to a cutting board. Trim edges to be straight. Using a long, sharp knife, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.