These recipes have been adapted from "Jeremiah Tower Cooks: 250 Recipes from an American Master" by Jeremiah Tower. Text copyright 2002 by Jeremiah Tower. Paintings copyright by Donald Sultan. Reprinted by permission of Stewart, Tabori and Chang.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2003
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 2 red onions, peeled, trimmed, and halved lengthwise
- 4 carrots, peeled
- 3 unpeeled quince, halved lengthwise
- 2 celery roots (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle a baking sheet with salt. Top with onions, carrots, quince, and celery roots in a single layer. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake until just tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, and uncover. When cool enough to handle, peel and core the quince. Cut vegetables into serving-size pieces. Transfer the quince and vegetables to a medium bowl. Drizzle with oil, and toss to evenly coat. Place in a baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Top with herb sprigs.
- Shortly before serving, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place baking dish in oven, and cook until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.