Caesar Salad with Heart Croutons
Any leftover dressing can be served on the side or stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling on croutons
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for sprinkling on croutons
- 1 cup mild olive oil, plus more for brushing croutons
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 loaf (about 10 ounces) fine-grained white bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- For the dressing: Place egg yolk, mustard, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth. With processor running, slowly add the olive oil until mixture is smooth and thick. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan; pulse to combine;
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Make the croutons: Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes from the bread slices. Brush each heart with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Cut lettuce crosswise in 1-inch slices. Place in a salad bowl. Add enough dressing to moisten; toss to combine. Add remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan and reserved croutons; toss again. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.