Spinach Salad with Poached Eggs
Be sure to use cold eggs, straight from the refrigerator, because they will be easier to break and are more likely to hold their shape well during cooking.
Everyday Food, December 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 strips bacon, (about 6 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces baby spinach, (about 12 cups)
- Fill a large skillet with 1 1/2 inches of water. Heat over medium heat just until bubbles appear on bottom; stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Break one egg into a cup; dip cup in water 20 seconds, then release egg. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until whites are just firm, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels; trim edges with a knife.
- In a medium saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove, and drain on paper towels. To the same pan, add shallot, and cook in bacon fat until soft, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup vinegar; boil over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss spinach with bacon and hot vinaigrette. Divide among plates; top each with a poached egg.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.