Everyday Food, January/February 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 2
- 1 pound curly spinach, well washed, thick stems removed, water still clinging to leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced, or 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Place spinach in a large saucepan (3 to 4 quarts) over medium heat (it will be extremely full), and season with salt. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander, and rinse under cold water until completely cooled; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-low; add shallot, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute (do not let brown); add 3/4 cup milk. Simmer gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Thin with additional milk, if necessary. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.