Basil-Stuffed Squash Blossoms
Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 ounce bocconcini, cut into 10 pieces
- 10 squash blossoms
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- Put ricotta in a fine sieve set over a bowl. Let drain in refrigerator 3 hours or overnight. Discard liquid.
- Season ricotta with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large pastry bag fitted with a coupler. Pipe 1 tablespoon ricotta onto 1 basil leaf. Place a small piece of bocconcini on top of ricotta; pinch leaf closed. Carefully open 1 squash blossom; place stuffed basil leaf inside blossom. Press gently to seal. Repeat with remaining basil leaves and squash blossoms.
- Heat about 3 inches oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until it registers 365 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Put eggs and cornmeal in separate small bowls. Dip 1 stuffed blossom into the eggs, then into the cornmeal to coat. Fry in batches of 2 to 3 until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels using a slotted spoon; let drain. Season with salt. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.