Portobellos with Leeks and Spinach
Summer cooking should be fast and easy, whether you're grilling outdoors or baking inside. Bake portobello mushroom caps, and fill them with leeks, fresh spinach, and goat cheese. Serve the mushrooms with whole-grain bread.
Everyday Food, July/August 2004
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 leeks
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- Trim dark-green parts from leeks; slice leeks crosswise, and soak in cold water. Swish leeks to help loosen dirt. Repeat with fresh water until you no longer see any grit at bottom of bowl. Lift leek slices out of water, leaving grit behind; drain them thoroughly on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place mushroom caps, gill sides up, on a rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until caps are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Top with leeks, spinach, and cheese; season again with salt and pepper. Bake until spinach wilts and cheese starts to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.