Thomas Keller's Tomato Confit
This recipe adapted from Thomas Keller's "Bouchon" (Artisan, 2004)
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. With a sharp paring knife, cut out and discard stem end of each tomato; score opposite end. Place tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes; let sit until skin is easily peeled, about 15 seconds. Drain tomatoes, and cover with ice.
- Peel tomatoes when cool enough to handle. Halve lengthwise and place, cut-side up, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Roast until tomatoes are dried halfway through, about 5 to 6 hours. Let stand until cool. Transfer tomatoes to a storage container; pour oil from baking sheet over the top. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.