Almond Brittle Sundae
A little amaretto drizzled over the top makes this a sundae for grown-ups.
Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1994
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, for baking sheet
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, or ice cream
- 4 teaspoons amaretto, (optional)
- Oil a 9-by-13-inch baking sheet, and set aside. Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cover pan, and bring to a boil. Leave cover on until condensation washes down insides of pan. Turn heat to medium and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar turns amber in color and registers 320 degrees.on a candy thermometer. Quickly stir in almonds, and pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Spread with back of a metal spoon until thin. Allow to cool completely, and break into pieces, reserving some larger ones for garnish.
- Scoop frozen yogurt or ice cream into wine or dessert glasses. Sprinkle with brittle, and garnish with a large shard. Drizzle amaretto over top if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.