Your guests can savor the colors and flavor of fall with these appetizers.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2004
- 1 large butternut squash
- Small squares of a dense brown bread, such as pumpernickel
- Goat cheese
- Butter, for cooking squash
- Salt, for sprinkling squash
- Cut a large butternut squash horizontally below the neck; reserve bulb for another use. Cut squash into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Use leaf-shaped cookie cutters to cut out.
- Cook squash leaves in butter over medium heat until brown, 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to paper towels to drain; sprinkle with salt.
- Toast small squares of a dense brown bread, such as pumpernickel. Top each with a small dollop of goat cheese and cover with one of the leaves.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.