Toasted Bread Salad
Pair this delicious salad with Ginger Chicken Under a Brick for a mouthwatering meal.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Fall 2008
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 pound country-style bread, crust removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, very finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, lime juice, vinegar, and 3 tablespoons safflower oil; set vinaigrette aside.
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with olive oil until well coated. Spread bread cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet. Transfer to oven until golden and toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl and add cucumber, tomatoes, ginger (if using), cilantro, mint, basil, jalapeno, and arugula. Drizzle vinaigrette over top, and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.