Marzipan Pumpkin Petits Fours
These pumpkins will keep at room temperature up to 1 day.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2008
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes, plus cooling
Yield Makes 30 pumpkins
For the Cakes
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks), melted and cooled
For the Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for surface
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 24 ounces white fondant
- 24 ounces marzipan
- Orange and brown gel-paste food coloring, for decorating
- Chocolate sticks, cut into 1-inch pieces, for decorating
- Antique silk luster dust and orange pearl dust, for decorating, optional
- Make the cakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat nonstick mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Whisk the sugars and eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in butter until combined completely. Fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until no trace of flour remains (batter may be lumpy).
- Scoop batter into tins, filling cups 1/2 full. Bake until testers inserted in the centers come out clean, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool. (Cupcakes can be covered and refrigerated up to 2 days.)
- Make the frosting: Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, spices, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Assemble the pumpkins: Cut tops from 2 cupcakes, and reserve bottoms for another use. Using a small offset spatula, spread 1 teaspoon frosting on the cut side of 1 cupcake top. Sandwich with other cupcake top, creating a round pumpkin shape. Spread 2 teaspoons frosting smoothly on sides of cupcake sandwich, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cupcakes and frosting. Refrigerate until very firm, at least 3 hours (or overnight).
- Knead together equal amounts fondant and marzipan, adding orange or brown food coloring until desired color is reached. (Reserve some fondant and marzipan to make white pumpkins if desired.) Dust a surface lightly with confectioners' sugar, and roll fondant mixture to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 4 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out circles.
- Place 1 pumpkin cake in center of 1 fondant circle. Bring sides of circle over cake, smoothing out folds, and press to enclose. Flip pumpkin over, and using a toothpick, make vertical grooves along sides. Poke a hole on top for a stem, and insert a chocolate stick. Repeat with remaining cakes and fondant. Using a clean, dry pastry brush or paintbrush, brush pumpkins with luster and pearl dusts if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.