- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- Light Cream-Cheese Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/259181/light-cream-cheese-icing)
- Candy decorations (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard 12-cup muffin tin (or two 6-cup muffin tins) with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, combine cocoa and 3 tablespoons hot water until a thick paste forms (this process intensifies the chocolate flavor). Add butter, buttermilk, egg, and egg white; beat until combined. Whisk in flour mixture until smooth.
- Scoop (or spoon) batter into prepared tin(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread icing over tops. Decorate as desired.
To divide evenly, use an ice-cream scoop to ladle the batter into the muffin cups. This also prevents drips.