Sauteed Okra with Heirloom Tomatoes and Bacon
Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis, authors of "The Gift of Southern Cooking," share their wonderful sauteed okra recipe paired with heriloom tomatoes and bacon, which is a great dish to serve during any get-together.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Summer 2008
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 pound okra, washed, trimmed, and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large sweet onion (preferably Vidalia), cut into 1/3-inch wedges
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over low heat until it is crisp and fat is rendered. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add okra to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion wedges, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, partially covered, until tomatoes are just heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Crumble bacon slices over tomatoes; serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.